Welcome to the story of my adventures in Ecuador.

I attempt to live my life with no regrets. Studying abroad in college has always been a part of this goal. Spring semester of 2011 I will be studying abroad at Universidad San Fransisco de Quito, located near Quito, Ecuador. I will be living with a host family about a half-hour bus ride away from the campus where I will be taking classes as an international student. I am unbelievably excited for this experience. I am excited for it to completely challenge me and change me and complete me. Henry David Thoreau once said, "Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake." I have dreamed of living in a Spanish-speaking country and living wholly outside of my comfort zone. I am ready for this adventure, and I am excited for you to share it with me.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Last Days of Pre-School Freedom

So much happens here everyday (at least for now) that it's sometimes hard to keep the days apart. Yesterday was Saturday. The plan was to go to Quicentro (a mall), find Becky, and explore. This sort of happened. And here is where the story begins. So there's this bus stop (parada) by my apartment. Red buses come by it and go to the bus station and at the bus station there is another red bus called Escovia that goes down the street 6 de diciembre which has a stop right by Quicentro. I was supposed to wait for the red bus, then take Escovia to Quicentro. I waited and waited. A blue bus came by that was probably going to the bus station but I wasn't sure so I didn't get on. I waited and waited. No bus. So I made an executive decision to walk to the bus station. I'd seen it the other day when we went to get groceries and it was the middle of the day so I felt safe enough to walk by myself next to the busy street. I was almost to the bus station (probably a half mile away) when I saw a red bus! It looked like it was heading the direction I was going so I asked the driver if he was going to Quicentro, he said yes, and I hopped on. No. The bus was not going to Quicentro. It was going to Cumbaya. An entirely different city. I was just laughing and laughing at myself the whole way there when I realized that I was definitely not on the correct bus. Luckily I knew how to get back and so I hopped on a bus and came back. Ha ha. That bus brought me to the bus station and I figured out the correct bus to take and I even got off at the right stop. I walked to what I thought was Quicentro and called Becky. No. It was not Quicentro. I then followed her directions and wandered around until I found Quicentro. I felt quite accomplished when I actually found it. Ha ha. Becky had to do something with her host family but Rebecca called and so she came and hung out with me! We wandered around Quicentro and we went to Parque La Carolina. Very cool way to just explore and soak up all the culture.

One thing I noticed in Quicentro was that most of the mannequins and models in photos are blonde and white. A lot of the guys are white as well, but some actually look Ecuadorian. Almost none of the women do. Very interesting. Almost the same as in the United States where women are constantly told they should be something there is no way they can be.

Today I didn't really have any plans seeing as tomorrow we start classes. Eek. Isabel asked me if I wanted to go to Quicentro with her after lunch, seeing as I didn't have plans of course I said yes! So we went back to Quicentro (ha ha) and walked around for awhile trying to find a gift for Javier. Javier is Joaquin's father and Isabel and him definitely went out on a date last night, but I can't really tell if they're in a relationship or if they're friends or what. Anyways, he ended up joining us to try the shoes on or something so I got to meet him. Very very nice guy. Then we all went in his car to the historical district of Quito. It was super cool, I'm excited to go again and walk around. He shared some of the history and other interesting tidbits about Quito with me. There are tons of churches in Old Town Quito because the Spanish conquered Ecuador and they were super religious so they built tons of churches. One of the churches my host mom (an architect) worked on the remodeling for. Very cool. Then we went out for dinner, Schawarma (sp?) which is Arabic. I would never have trusted the place on my own. There were like 4 guys outside, 5 tables with chairs inside, and a TV. Javier just ordered three schawarmas from the guys standing outside and we picked out drinks from the drinks cooler and then we waited. They brought the food in from outside, not even from the kitchen which was I think attached to the restauranty part. Strange but cool. The food was SO delicious. Great great great meal and great afternoon.

Photos!

-EM

No comments:

Post a Comment